UNIT 5. OPENING A CASE - JUVENILE DELINQUENCY
Upon completion of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Create a new case directly from the Workload dialog box
- Identify the NH BRIDGES functions used to populate a new case
- Access Court Information in NH BRIDGES
A Juvenile Petition was filed in Lancaster District Court which
alleged that a twelve year old juvenile was delinquent in that he did
"knowingly have in his possession an infernal machine, to wit, a
four-five inch piece of copper tubing with gunpowder inside, a whole
for a fuse, crimped on both ends, the said device was possessed while
at the Happy Valley Junior High School." At the adjudicatory hearing
on this matter, the juvenile, on the advice of counsel, entered a plea
of "True." The court ordered the Division for Children, Youth and
Families to conduct a Pre-Dispositional Investigation (PDI),
- Creating a new case in the NH BRIDGES database;
- The Case Toolbar
- The Court Toolbar - Hearings, Findings, Orders, Motions/Violations;
- Child Protection report
- Attorney information
- Documenting Conditions of Release
Based on a thorough review of court records and previous police
involvement, the JSO determined that the juvenile did not have a
history of negative police contact in the community and that this was
the first petition involving this juvenile to come before the
court. The JSO met with the juvenile, his mother, and school
administrative personnel in the course of conducting the
PDI. Statements gathered from the Investigation were documented in the
PDI report and were supplemented with additional information which
included the juvenile's status in school and the JSO's recommendations
to the Court. the PDI was provided to the court five days in advance
of the Dispositional hearing.
During the Dispositional hearing, the Court approved the
recommendations of the JSO as they were documented in the PDI
report. The Court ordered that the juvenile remain in his mother's
home and be placed on Conditional release for a period of six
months. In addition, the juvenile was ordered to provide six posters
regarding the dangers of explosives to be hung in the local elementary
school; to complete a three page report on "How the Lives of the
Surviving Children of the Oklahoma Bombing Have Changed:; to continue
in counseling; and to complete a tour of the Youth Development
Center. The Conditions of Release stipulated that the curfew was to be
set by the parent and the aforementioned orders were documented as
|Creating a new Case directly without a referral/assessment
- From the Main toolbar, click on the Workload button. (The
workload/case/referra1 dialog box appears.)
Note: All the buttons of the Case toolbar
are locked until the summary screen is
completed and added to the database
- Click on the Case radio button and click on the New radio
button. Click on the [OK] command button. (The Case toolbar appears
above the "Case Summary - New" window.)
- Enter details of the case on the summary screen and use the
toolbar buttons to record the necessary information in the database.
|Instructor demo: recording a delinquency case
||A sample delinquency case has been pre-created for this class. In
order to save data entry time, the instructor will lead you through
the screens used to record the information from the above scenario
description. You will sign on as the JSO, Cliff DeWeller and access
the BOMBER case to review this information.
- Exit the application using one of the three methods you learned earlier.
- Start the NH BRIDGES application from the WIN95 desktop.
- Sign on as UserID - cdewell, Password = training.
- Click on the Workload button until the Workload/Referral/Other
dialog box appears.
- Click on the Case radio button. Make sure the Existing radio
button is selected.
- Click on [Search...]. (The Case Search dialog box appears.) Type
BOMBER and press Enter.
- Highlight the first Bomber case in the Case Search Matches screen
and click on [Show].
- The instructor will lead you through the various screens of the
|The PDI Report
||The PDI report is found on the Court toolbar:
- From the Case toolbar, click on the Court button; from the Court
toolbar, click on the PDI button.
- Complete the information on the PDI report screen, and click on
Add when done.
Back to Table of Contents